Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Perfect (but rainy) Montreal Morning


My job has given me friends scattered across every inhabited continent and many countries. I love the fact that I can go so many places and know someone. I also love the fact that my job often takes me to my friends’ home town. Unfortunately, because my friends also work on ships it is a rare that I actually get to see someone (Remember England? I had three friends I planned to see and all three of them ended up being gone). That’s why it was such a treat to have breakfast with my friend Jen and her husband Chris in Montreal.

Last summer, Jen and I were roommates for two weeks on the Volendam. We hit it off and became good friends, but she only did that one contract. When I posted on Facebook that the Maasdam would be out of Montreal, Jen wrote and said that she would love to meet up sometime. The first day of a cruise is always crazy busy and I don’t have any time off after 11:00am so we could just never make it work. Yesterday, however, was our last Montreal call of the season, so I knew that we had to make it work because I really wanted to see her.

Jen and Chris picked me up and we headed into the Old Port for breakfast. It can often be awkward to go out with a friend and their significant other because someone ends up being the third wheel (be it the significant other or the single friend), but it was not like that at all. We all enjoyed each others’ company and enjoyed laughing at the cheesy French CafĂ© music in the restaurant. The rain cleared up while we were eating, so we were able to walk around a bit and enjoy the beautiful fall colors before I had to get back to the ship. I wish I had had more time to explore the city; I will have to take Jen and Chris up on their offer to visit them again.

Beautiful city, good food, and great company: A formula for a perfect morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment