Thursday, November 15, 2012

Congratulations, Stevie!

This post is several weeks overdue, but my little brother, Stevie, recently learned that he gets to live his dream of becoming a naval aviator.

Stevie has talked about joining the military since he was three years old (we split the blame pretty equally between my grandpa who was a colonel in the army and Top Gun) and for most of that time he has talked about being a pilot (we blame that entirely on Top Gun). There were times that he talked about being a coach or an architect (and at one point an astronaut but a large number of astronauts were originally Navy pilots), but those ideas never lasted long; he always went back to his original plan. When he started university at South Carolina’s Citadel (the Confederacy’s answer to West Point and now a state-run school that functions just like the federal academies except for the fact that it feeds to all four military branches) he had one goal in mind: earn a pilot slot after graduation. He has work hard on both Navy assignments and academics assignments and even passed up an opportunity to walk on to the wrestling team so he could focus on his grades (as a state-ranked wrestler all through high school that was a huge sacrifice). I was extremely anxious for him the week assignments were due to come out, but I knew he had done everything he could and that if he was assigned elsewhere it just wasn’t meant to be. I was thrilled when I called my parents one night and my mom told me that assignments had come out and I needed to give him a call. She wouldn’t tell me what he got, but she did tell me he was in his barracks watching Top Gun and I knew he wouldn’t torture himself like that if he had been assigned elsewhere.

Congratulations, Stevie! You deserve it and I have never been more proud of you. Just remember: Your ship may be able to beat up my ship, but my ship is still more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment